Bryan, Angie, Lexie, Hoyt & Sabrie

Friday, December 28, 2012

Grandpa Hoyt

This holiday season was a little bit marred by the passing of my Grandpa Marvin P. Hoyt. Grandpa wasn't always an easy person to get close to, especially when I was little. But in his older age, he became a softie and loved when we came to visit. I felt bad the past few years because I didn't go up to see him and Grandma as much as I would have liked. During Thanksgiving, I decided I would not go back to Cedar until I had taken my kids to see Great Grandpa & Grandma. I especially wanted them to see Sabrie. I have been so bad taking pictures, but I knew it was important to get a picture of my kids with their great grandparents. So here is the picture. This is something I will cherish forever, because it is the last time we all saw Grandpa alive. I'm glad he got to meet little Sabrie and see my kids again.
We'll miss you Grandpa!
 We went to Orderville for a few days before Christmas. Saturday, Bryan went with my Dad and some of my siblings to a movie, but Sunday morning Dad got called up to Grandpa's and the rest of the day members of the family spent time by Grandpa's side. I went up and saw him for a few minutes between church meetings. I never said anything to him, and seeing him suffering to breathe was really hard. He was so tough and had lived for so long, I figured it would pass and he would be fine again. But when we were practicing the Melody Miss Alumni songs they came in and told us he had passed away. My mom was at the piano, and I have never seen her have a reaction like that. She put her head down on the keyboard and cried. We'll miss Grandpa, but I know he's in a better place.
We went back home that night to have Christmas with our little family. Grandpa's funeral was scheduled the next Friday. It was storming pretty bad still, so we drove the long way around to get there Thursday night for the viewing. It was great to be with family and celebrate the life of a good guy with a great posterity. I enjoyed singing with my girl cousins, and hearing all the boy cousins, and great grandkids (plus Jen) also sing. We really do have an awesome Hoyt family. Here is a picture of most of the family that made it to the funeral. Funny story about this picture. We lost Hoyt for a minute and were all searching for him. The little stinker had gone outside to the highway and luckily Nate and Stasha found him before anything bad happened. I was so mad and scared and they wanted us all for the picture so while searching for Hoyt I had laid Sabrie in her car seat, so when I went to get in the picture I completely forgot I didn't have her so she missed out on the picture. Oops. I am grateful for family and so grateful for our knowledge of the plan of salvation.
We love you Grandpa!
 
I have so many fond memories of cookouts, both at Grandpa's house and at the ranch. Almost every Sunday evening of my growing up years was spent at Grandpa and Grandma's house building relationships and memories. We also spent Christmas Eve at their house almost every year. When I was young, we acted out the nativity while someone read the story of The First Christmas from the bible. As we all got older, we just read from the bible and had a few musical numbers before Grandma handed out presents to everyone. Grandpa wasn't perfect, but the last several years of his life I have seen him change a lot and really appreciate family. Every time I went to see him he would give me a kiss and say he loved me and to come back and see him soon. I also remember a few cards he wrote to me telling me how proud he was of me. I will cherish all these memories forever.

No comments: